[Bell Historians] Bell Hangers

RingingMatters at xqG2k7MFD4D4KN5tFvvZ_b4id8zvxk-yrUI-M8y523eaBRaA54NHn1R09Cl1tC9ooGHXImUJ7DIjAsxBIA.yahoo.invalid RingingMatters at xqG2k7MFD4D4KN5tFvvZ_b4id8zvxk-yrUI-M8y523eaBRaA54NHn1R09Cl1tC9ooGHXImUJ7DIjAsxBIA.yahoo.invalid
Sun Feb 21 11:45:47 GMT 2010

Thank you, John, for your detailed & informed reply to my  question.
Disappointing , but par for the course for this individual  who later became an
artist and finally made a good living as a photographer in  Southport.  I
would guess that his skills as a carpenter would have stood  him in good stead
as the ones I have seen are mounted on a board and attached to  metal coils
which caused then to jangle for quite a while, presumably to give  servants
time to run to the board to see which bell was being rung.  As he  clearly
had some talent as an artist, he might have also had the job of painting  the
numbers, or room names, on the board above each bell.  I have never  seen a
board with different sized bells to help servants recognise the bell by
its tone, but I suppose that would be a natural development.

I think that  stately homes are the best chance of finding these  systems
still in operation.  I have certainly seen them, but I cannot  remember
where.  We had them in our vicarage in Wellington, Herefordshire,  in the 1940s
when I was small, but no servants!

Regards

Malcolm