[Bell Historians] Exeter cathedral

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at 5OuQZFbSNfkx1YujQ8_lf7DhSBZ97Klibh_EXB-PxPwP5pM_n3iUf-ilXCbkhzhUSjtfW6o0wNPlFA_lCIEQMo4cYYlh2P8.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 26 20:23:03 BST 2010

Richard

I tend to use this site for online bell books - http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Bells%22%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts&page=2 - but the obvious titles for Exeter aren't included.

However, the appendices to Ellacombe's "Gloucestershire" http://www.archive.org/details/churchbellsofglo00ella - may contain the material you found [Perhaps not. I have a list of the contents of the extras to "Gloucestershire" and "Somerset" - and a search on "Exeter" drew a blank]

After that, the most likely titles are:

Ellacombe's The Church Bells of Devon (1870s)  - details of Exeter Cathedral bells [a single page I can scan if required]

The Ringer's Guide to the Church Bells of Devon by Charles Pearson (1888)

John Scott's pamphlet on the bells of Exeter Cathedral (various printings since the 1960s)

Chris Pickford

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Smith
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 6:07 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Exeter cathedral

  Much to my irritation I've just tipped a cup of coffee all
  over my desk and rendered illegible the first page of some
  notes I'd made on the history of the bells of Exeter
  cathedral. I can't now read where I got the information
  from, and I'm hoping someone can help me work this out.

  It was definitely a book or pamphlet that had been scanned
  and made available on-line (probably through archive.org or
  Google Books); I think it was from the 19th century. I had
  used the book to draw up a table showing each recast and
  augmentation of the bells since the 16th or 17th century,
  and it was particularly informative about the fact that they
  had a flat sixth long before the natural sixth suggesting a
  ring in the Mixolydian mode.

  I've tried searching the obvious on-line archives for
  likely-looking titles, but have drawn a blank. Can anyone
  suggest what this book might have been?

  Thanks,

  RAS