[Bell Historians] Whitechapel charges

Steve Stanford steve.h.stanford at 89k0il3bADQ5yphEoMNU-rQn3ga3RcPJwnBmsruwv2hXpPyjfDQRjvPNlE-NclVTDNWUJ6U3Vs1q5O_h_CkVKHBkM7i0QIle.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 23 20:25:14 GMT 2010

Yes, Whitechapel charge a fee and (perhaps unwisely or unreasonably) some
other firms do not. I cannot imagine that this (£80) would anything like
cover Whitechapel’s actual time and expenses in making a visit and providing
a professionally written proposal, but it does perhaps go some way to ensure
that an enquiry is serious and they are not simply being asked to provide a
second or third bid for competitive reasons where there is already a strong
preference for a particular founder or firm, and the decision is (in effect)
already made. And dare I further suggest that they might be concerned about
people simply using them to provide free advice that could later be
communicated to another lower price bidder or incorporated into a DIY
project. I am not of course suggesting that you would attempt any of these
things, but I can think of ringers who would and have!

As others have pointed out, it is not very usual for firms in other fields
of engineering to charge for sales calls, but you won’t find many who will
not charge for what is often in effect a fairly detailed design and firm
estimate, or technical support. For example, in the process contracting
industry it is not at all uncommon for firms to spend many hours in such pre
contract activity and for their prospective customers to pay for the work
either directly, or indirectly offset against a subsequent contract award.
Conversely, if you only want a budget costing, and can supply the necessary
information, I would imagine Whitechapel might provide it without charge. So
I think it rather depends on the purpose of the enquiry and what you expect
as a result of it.

This all brings to mind a John Ruskin quotation that the late Ray Ayres
referred to (and attempted to quote) in a Ringing World article published
shortly before his death. “There is scarcely anything in the world that some
man cannot make or do a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The
person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey”.

Sorry to ramble on, but may be a slightly different perspective to some
others!

Steve

  _____