[Bell Historians] Riverside Carillon.

Timothy Hurd timothyhurd at cgbZvkqSrEotqU8NFX_xV4GjzWSkgij4_thTB72OxiMxfRZ0nMGQadFIdsoO4BqMH38ELqy7Q1zOcLSGMb4.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 7 01:17:42 GMT 2010

Dear Alan

I have just returned from a month away (recording historic bells in Denmark) and
have now caught up with the bellhistorians back-forth on all this G&J Riverside
Church 'original trebles' business.

At the risk of boring everybody to tears, and as a final word, the following
might be of interest:

1. The #7 bell ex-Riverside carillon would have been pitch F#5 (CFJ numbered
from the top end, of course, with no.1 being C7 - why have it simple when you
can have it complicated?)

2. At Wellington, we have in storage twenty G&J lathe-cut trebles dating
from 1929, therefore of nearly identical casting period as RC. Owing to tuning
damage from extensive salt air corrosion in Wellington, these bells were
replaced in 1985 (but NOT melted down!)

3. The no.3 bell of the Wellington archived set is also an F#5 (no.1 being G#5),
which would be virtually identical in size to the original F#5 from New York.

4. The physical measurements of the Wellington F#5 are as follows:

DIAMETER:  178.5mm = 7.03 inches
HEIGHT:   148.0mm = 5.83 inches
SOUNDBOW THICKNESS:  15.1mm = 0.59" (very slightly thicker than the 9/16" =
0.5625" you mention).

5. So, yes, the G&J treble soundbows really are 'this thin' (basically exact
clones of larger bells, just shrunk in 3-D).

6. The 'new' (1999) Whitechapel trebles are considerably larger/thicker/more
resonant than the G&J originals would have been.

Regards,
Timothy Hurd QSM
National Carillonist of New Zealand
Director, National Carillon - Canberra, Australia