Useless Information..........

David davidhird_uk at Zo1EbIOeyD4b2cK693cTaYyy1Wos-c-2XZa0kFesb_iLWNBcWLXIzOVW6rF4a3vMEpMk1dAzNKkpAXwESlcm.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 15 16:21:50 GMT 2010

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at ... wrote:

> Two questions which members of this list may be able to help me with.
>
> 1) How many towers are there where bells are transposed in their pits (usually to save space) and the ropes cross between the bells and ringers? I know of 2 myself - Pip-n-jay in Bristol where 3 and 4 are transposed and Alverstoke (Hants) where 7 and 8 are transposed.
>
> 2) Where, and how heavy, is the heaviest single bell which can or could be rung up? I pulled up Great Bede of Downside with the clapper tied some years ago, but that is heavily counterbalanced. With the clapper going - it's a different story!

Hardly any of the big swinging bells I have rung are really hung for ringing despite the fact that some are roped with a handstroke and some have stays. The clappering is the thing that starts to go wrong when the bell goes too far up due to the counterbalance. The clapper also bounces hopelessly above a certain point.