[Bell Historians] St Augustine, Hackney

Philip Denton philip_denton at hh1_jVXN_49a3mk7LmwBy9m6S70NUtm1kJjhflcGyfJr3DxwR-Gnvtz7ADQ-hem3LApkvNW3ZU16hg84L9tzuPy6hw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 17 18:28:57 GMT 2010

The bell mentioned by David is a clock bell. The ring of eight bells formerly in the old tower was last recast by Robert Patrick in 1786, tenor c24cwt. The new church was built 1791-94 and its tower added 1810-14. The 1786 ring was transferred from the old tower to the new church in 1854.

In 1955, the church was damaged by fire. The bells remained intact, but the frame and fittings were damaged. During the restoration, the bells were recast by Mears & Stainbank 1957 into the present back eight, tenor 16-1-6 in F. Two trebles were added by Whitechapel in 2003.

Philip

(Some of this information from Chris Pickford, some from local sources - I ring at Hackney fairly regularly.)

Searching for the Islington data reminded me of a question I was going to ask following a peal I rang at St John at Hackney. Where there bells in the tower of St Augustine's church, which is in the corner of the same churchyard?