[Bell Historians] St Augustine, Hackney

Ted Steele ted.steele at U6xGx5cXRKSvLtMTusrrv72Suj7H9w-do-pUIBVjOiJ0tdJr74zjLsmW5Cvz4jM-Xzv0gsoY8bMZBw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 17 18:40:36 GMT 2010

On 17/11/2010 13:38, Mike Chester wrote:

> Searching for the Islington data reminded me of a question I was going
> to ask following a peal I rang at St John at Hackney. Where there
> bells in the tower of St Augustine's church, which is in the corner of
> the same churchyard?

My understanding is that the original bells continued to hang in the old
tower and were rung from there for a while before being transferred to
the new church. Whether they were the same bells that were destroyed in
the fire of 1955 I am not quite sure. I think they were but there may
have been recastings along the way. No doubt someone else can furnish
precise details.

Ted