St. Mary's Cricklade

Philip Denton philip_denton at IiMzZU74q_9J18BnVzUOVvKXaQwEVZmK3fON6uNHnYBajh-Jdwg_50gc9XSeQAejigBS7dlWD9kPsGzCeT1O_af3S-I.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 23 12:14:02 GMT 2010

If anyone is aware what happened to the former tenor at St. Mary's, Cricklade, Wiltshire, I would be very interested to know.

This is the smaller of the two medieval churches in the town. According to Walters' Wiltshire survey, there were three bells here by Thomas Rudhall, 1779, and a Rudhall Sanctus bell of 1733 (Abraham II.)

Trying to piece together the story from various sources, I believe the following to be correct. The three bells were removed from the tower in 1979, as they were considered to be unsafe. The church was declared redundant in 1981, and has been used by the Roman Catholic Church from 1984 to the present day. The Sanctus bell remains in the tower.

In 1979, the second (diameter 29.50") was added as a treble to the ring at nearby St. Sampson's, Cricklade, augmenting the ring to six; after tuning and removal of canons, its weight is now 5-0-4, according to Dove.

In c1984, another bell from St. Mary's was installed as the treble at Tattingstone, Suffolk. Weighing 4.75 cwt, presumably this was the treble at St. Mary's. It is a semitone sharp in relation to the back five at Tattingstone.

If anyone can improve on the above, or correct any inaccuracies, I would be grateful. And does anyone know what happened to the tenor from St. Mary's? Presumably it would weigh 6-7 cwt. One source from the church suggested that it also went to Suffolk c1984, but a Dove search has failed to locate it. Of course, there are many churches in Suffolk without rings, and therefore without Dove entries - or indeed, it might be elsewhere...

Philip