Birmingham University

Hoppie(s) jhopwood at A2-jjYUcwypEMhhynLCRc91m5adEYv5OTAwqeKNNoKxWST_OI-WIWDTaHnQJVMjqi2I7xlMwyLcZPeoJkUvMHIE.yahoo.invalid
Sat Oct 23 18:25:13 BST 2010

Steve Stanford:
> ...The last time I visited the campus (9 July 2010) sadly the clock
> was not striking. Perhaps there was some more work in progress, does
> anyone happen to know? ...

Perhaps the mechanism is worn out.  Some time in, I think 1968, A ringer
called Michael something AKA Tyres managed to get hold of a key to the
tower.  He fabricated a template to fit over the countwheel and block
the gaps.  He told us one day that, the following day at 11:00 am, the
hour bell would not stop striking.

We all told friends and fellow students of this and, sure to his word,
at 11:00am the hour bell continued to chime.  It went on for twenty
minutes when, I assume, someone managed to get up there to stop it.

Hey Ho. Great days.

John