Toby Norris I

George Dawson george at Gtixlo0dQUQtE5Mqj57ws0cMrNoi9jCSKMmeshzd2F9ZEzac6rsziYtDpfIblMG5uiqaNYZYYbTNDNWGlvObkQTmlfha6g.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 9 18:54:05 BST 2010

My CB Cambs  is a second edition of 1881. Under the owl on page 76 is cross
[81] & fleur de lis [82].

George

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Richard Smith
Sent: 09 September 2010 18:30
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Toby Norris I

Thanks for your helpful comments, George.

> Inspection of the inscription in CBCambs reveals that they
> have badge [81]. This is the same as CBLincs [2].

My copy of Raven's Cambridgeshire doesn't have a badge 81,
and I can't see a badge that does look like the [2] from
North's Lincolnshire. It does list the Norris owl (fig 28,
facing p.34) which is apparently on the All Saints,
Cambridge bell. Am I missing some pages?

> The inscription at Swayfield, Lincs (2nd of 3) has [2] and
> includes ... TOBIE NORRIS CAST ME.

I'd noticed this bell, but the inscription is different, and
not being aware of any similarity in the badge, I didn't
consider it further. The 3 of 3 there, on the other hand,
did have the same inscription, but no founder name, and a
different badge [3].

> There similar bells at Pinchbeck, Deeping St James to
> mention but 2 more.

Deeping St James is particularly good -- thanks for that --
two of the bells have that inscription followed by TOBIE
NORRIS CAST ME (on one) and TOBIE NORRIS FECIT (on the
other).

In general, though, how reliable is comparing the badges
when the badge is a very simple geometric figure such as
North's [2], [3] and [5]? In particular, I notice that
[5] (and I think [3]) both appear on the Priest's bell at
Great St Mary's. This bears the inscription

[3] THIS [5] BELL [5] WAS [5] MADE [5] BY [5] IOHN [5]
WARRIN [5] 1607 [3]

on one line around the shoulder joining up at badge [3].
I'm certain I've correct identified badge [5]; the only
photo I have of the [3] on this bell is a little unclear.
I'll take a better photo or rubbing when I'm next in the
tower.

If badges [3] and [5] are usually reliable indicators of a
Toby Norris bell, what are we to make of this bell?

I've always been a bit sceptical about the founder who
produced our priest's bell. No other bells by a John Warren
are known, and I'm also suspicious as a John Warren, a
vintner, was churchwarden at GSM in 1607 and he was largely
responsible for overseeing the completion of the tower that
was going on at that time. (That said, there was certainly
a second, rather younger, John Warren in the parish at the
time, perhaps the son of the churchwarden, and it seems that
he may have been a blacksmith. Conventional wisdom has it
that the priest's bell was his sole attempt at bell founding
-- if so, it's rather good for a first attempt.)

RAS

07:34:00