Brisbane Cathedral

Richard richard.offen at _OEqRhgPGqotmAGVzSRlRtOvq6N-fbOdsPVdNgtwIIFh4071JMrCuieu8ZKgQGa70xHpfG9pV0FADZe3miHsPtc.yahoo.invalid
Sun Sep 26 00:06:29 BST 2010

You're not going mad Mike.   Radial frame by E & S, two trebles of twelve, at the insistence of the local ringers, cast by WBF, but hung by TES.

In answer to the subsequent question by Ian, there being no tower at all for the first hundred years of the cathedral's existence, the original Warner eight were hung for chiming in a cage in the churchyard.   In 1987, they were augmented and hung for ringing in a temporary steel tower designed locally.

At the time of installation, Whitechapel warned the cathedral architect that the tower was not be man enough for the job, but were ignored (how often have we heard of that happening!) and the tower flexed alarmingly, making the bells extremely difficult to ring.   The result was that ringing was generally confined to the front six.

It was only about eight years ago, when the steel tower needed to be removed to make way for the completion of the cathedral's west front that a plan was formulated to build on the stump of the originally intended central tower and house the bells there.

As to Alan's comment, I don't know how you think you can judge the ring from such a dreadfully distorted recording.   I have not rung on the twelve, but my memory of the ten is of a pleasant old style Warner ring sympathetically tuned and augmented.

Richard