[Bell Historians] hemispherical bells for sale on ebay

John Harrison john at T5De4l9Erh8ZvR7a15wrGgfDv_daA_RnsRUXndGslRxftx9qNIj_UaR2_ifssTWrOlE4UF4auWYurjeMA-w.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 8 08:55:26 GMT 2011

In article <1323310056.28346.YahooMailNeo at RRwK17zR0WCHRIIzNnaGpHqekGS_Xu38hiNLpacPdagX637qpSyZW2e9O1dg7T8UB7r1l_Q3oQASxONFHGyexDo-YTALxH-oy3a3TBRqEOnw0lya5YwuOBHdnfbKEK2qFEvy.yahoo.invalid>,
   Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford.t21 at z6E57lQPodVdv1ZifHoyf8GFWLqzLT1FGxc_r05GWAeOc8BeJGO4MZa5cn6gmbnQ93Uj7H0ANBheFhewrk9h8h-XftJCakY.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> From my list of hemispehrical bells - as complete as I can make it - I
> only know of three sets by M&S dated 1873. These are Galashiels (3),
> High Beech (13) and Keble College Oxford (3). The former chime of 11
> at St.Mark's, Victoria Park, London E, may have been dated 1873 too -
> but were installed in 1874

> Some were supplied direct by the founders, but quite a lot of sets of
> hemisphericals were supplied through clockmakers - Thwaites & Reed,
> bensons and Blockleys in particular.

> So, I can't offer any enlightenment on this set, but I'd certainly be
> keen to know if their provenance can be established. Also, are they a
> clock chime or a running five? In the meantime they've been added to the
> list as "unknown"

I looked at other items from the same seller 's other items.  Of the other
6 items currently on offer, 5 are clock related.  Is that significant?

The other item is reclaimed slates.   Last month he sold spare parts for an
Audi and a Volvo.  No details of the 5 previous sales (back to 2005).

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk