[Bell Historians] hemispherical bells for sale on ebay

David Sloman david at Ox7eMXhHEfamr5OmN_p2iirFoyh3lwIDZ1m7_sE0xVOSTwsDVkNttE-iCD8SFk_CqUp-QDficpYnebaMgSw7C-26XgKV3g.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 9 11:53:58 GMT 2011

The bells for sale are not from High Beech, although I haven't seen them since 2001, the sizes don't tally and the High Beech bells are hung horizontally in a five bar gate frame.

The currrent bid is far below the scrap value, the largest gong is probably 4-5 cwt. Bidding ends today!

DS
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Harrison
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 8:55 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] hemispherical bells for sale on ebay

  In article <1323310056.28346.YahooMailNeo at IFsaIRx5X-sfyYAUoEvig3Ph2S4AJsTk1DTi2ON10bWmXHIWSbfHidDI963xI39Ny6VV1FC7z39fMbJwspr9mDALyWNry89dGr0ubNvwtv4O0uR0QNewFrSz0GcastzRQ0I.yahoo.invalid>,
  Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford.t21 at 53BHxYe_-iWeq3MpbIs86qHZMglKXHmja_bA0SI01OgsJP_HmzazjgRtTjo49rKE_YaegO49a8BmPi4tUncEUOVHEoG1.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
  > From my list of hemispehrical bells - as complete as I can make it - I
  > only know of three sets by M&S dated 1873. These are Galashiels (3),
  > High Beech (13) and Keble College Oxford (3). The former chime of 11
  > at St.Mark's, Victoria Park, London E, may have been dated 1873 too -
  > but were installed in 1874

  > Some were supplied direct by the founders, but quite a lot of sets of
  > hemisphericals were supplied through clockmakers - Thwaites & Reed,
  > bensons and Blockleys in particular.

  > So, I can't offer any enlightenment on this set, but I'd certainly be
  > keen to know if their provenance can be established. Also, are they a
  > clock chime or a running five? In the meantime they've been added to the
  > list as "unknown"

  I looked at other items from the same seller 's other items. Of the other
  6 items currently on offer, 5 are clock related. Is that significant?

  The other item is reclaimed slates. Last month he sold spare parts for an
  Audi and a Volvo. No details of the 5 previous sales (back to 2005).

  Regards

  --
  John Harrison
  Website http://jaharrison.me.uk