[Bell Historians] Fwd: Memorial Bells enquiry

Timothy Hurd timothyhurd at _ZSg07JD2MhM_6qSPHL24SmOaaDOoaM_SSXpmLWLSBAItisZKCDHBr7BP4CVpORkOk1d4JGNpBqtS47H.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jan 28 15:48:00 GMT 2011

Re: war memorial bells with name inscriptions

A prime example is the 74-bell National War Memorial Carillon in Wellington, New
Zealand. Of the 49 original Gillett & Johnston bells from 1929, 46 have
inscription/dedications to specific individuals (i.e. war casualties) and/or
regiments invloved in WWI. Details included in "For Whom the Bells Toll" by
Chris Maclean [Heritage Group, Department of Internal Affairs, Wellington,
1998].

As for Riverside Church in New York, only the fourth largest bell (E0, the
original bourdon for Park Avenue Baptist Church) bears any dedication, this to
Mr Rockefeller's mother, Laura Spelman Rockefeller, who (unless I am completely
misinformed) was not exactly a fallen woman.

There is also the Jose M Ferrer Memorial Carillon by G&J (1931) at The
Canterbury School in New Milford, Connecticut, USA.

Lots of others...

Regards,
Timothy Hurd QSM CLJ OMLJ
Natioanl Carillonist of new Zealand
Director, National Carillon - Canberra, Australia