[Bell Historians] St. Martin's Church, Wharram Percy, N. Yorkshire [3 Attachments]

Anne Willis zen16073 at HqKEVWX9SfrIfpjkWfhABcnA62zCC-QP4xvRqt9j8vOpKEEE5ESYizOUk_e27Ub_6nvZMf6c40lUc7fF.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 8 14:51:43 BST 2011

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Bryan McCahey
Sent: 05 June 2011 19:27
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] St. Martin's Church, Wharram Percy, N. Yorkshire
[3 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from Bryan McCahey included below]

I spent an hour or so last Friday looking around the ruined church at
Wharram Percy, near Malton in N. Yorkshire. See attached photos. The church
was, apparently, more-or-less intact until the 1960s. Do we know anything of
its bell(s)? There appears to be evidence of three (rope?) holes in the
stone ceiling of the first chamber but it's not entirely clear. The west
face of the tower collapsed in the 1960s.

Bryan McCahey

There has been a great deal of research on Wharram Percy, and that may
include the church.  A search for DMV's (Deserted medieval villages) may
help.  I know there is a bell pit inside (?at the base of the tower).

Of the more fascinating things that came of examining the graves was the
distribution of left and right handed people.  IIRC a good 30% of the
burials were left handed.