[Bell Historians] Digest Number 2815-Holy Trinity, Bolton

John H Allen john at QOftJyfxCx1RTAA-wKFU8jT39558SoSZYajdXWQLN_W3Oc5H2xDsr2M3wHnCNMW4GweHVbcdgcH79mFx.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 9 16:14:09 GMT 2011

Perhaps the Local Authority will use its Statutory Powers:-

5. REPAIRS

5.1 If a local authority consider that a listed building is not being
properly preserved they may serve on the owner a 'repairs notice' under
Section 115 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971. This notice must
specify the works which the authority consider reasonably necessary for the
proper preservation of the building and explain that if it is not complied
with within 2 months the authority may make a compulsory purchase order and
submit it to the Secretary of State for confirmation. If the owner
deliberately neglects the building in order to redevelop the site, the local
authority may not only acquire the building, but may do so at a price which
excludes the value of the site for redevelopment. If the building is
unoccupied, the authority can serve a notice on the owner giving him 7 days'
notice of their intention to carry out repairs which are urgently necessary
to secure its preservation and recover the cost from the owner. These powers
may also be exercised by the Secretary of State. Owners of listed buildings
can, in some cases, get grants or loans to help them with repairs and
maintenance.

  _____