[Bell Historians] Saw Pit Frame

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd, www.bellhangers.com matthewhigby at joFz7NFtjNqPeJyAZWMLs1Zfi_xx4L6HKBdA2hMG_6aHBiJC53FWS2XvtfEzVyPg_1xxj1gScXfCoA.yahoo.invalid
Thu May 26 11:33:48 BST 2011

parallel pits do not fit the maximum bells in
the minimum space, H frames or the L&G set up
with isolated bearing towers on a massive
grillage do that.

You must have more experience of designing frames than me! :-)

Design of framesides is one thing - layout is another. The Chawton frame has lowside parallel pits with bells 1&6, 2&5, 3&4 mouth to mouth. They have gallows ends to allow the bells to swing as close to the wall as possible. The bells wouldn't fit in any other layout - I tried very hard to get bells swinging in 2 directions, but failed to to get a workable layout.

Matthew