[Bell Historians] Saw Pit Frame

Roderic Bickerton rodbic at lIHLObX6lks6AdDXHPw39Fs3mouG3xVVbzvf4dJjaHDvBcfszyDD71PKuI_yxLWmFl-LQOXYhsjg.yahoo.invalid
Thu May 26 14:39:51 BST 2011

I bow to the distinction, but never say never, you know how varied towers are in shape and load capability, better than me.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew Higby & Company Ltd, www.bellhangers.com
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:33 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Saw Pit Frame

    parallel pits do not fit the maximum bells in
    the minimum space, H frames or the L&G set up
    with isolated bearing towers on a massive
    grillage do that.

  You must have more experience of designing frames than me! :-)

  Design of framesides is one thing - layout is another. The Chawton frame has lowside parallel pits with bells 1&6, 2&5, 3&4 mouth to mouth. They have gallows ends to allow the bells to swing as close to the wall as possible. The bells wouldn't fit in any other layout - I tried very hard to get bells swinging in 2 directions, but failed to to get a workable layout.

  Matthew