Re: [Bell Historians] Re: What are these bells called?

Dickon Love dickon at 00z_WbAEv7xlIniCD2lkVwgWi7nuH4ams49Fy-FjSe9TRiDIj6WiZ6UH2LX67g_cPA36zTWoeIbi3C6Cj6Q.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 10 12:11:13 BST 2011

>  So I think in this case rather than describing them as Sanctus bells a
>  better description would be Altar bells.

If these are where I think they are, they are not Altar bells.  Am I right in saying the bells are actually near the vestry door?  These bells would be jangled as the altar party leaves the vestry, to warn the congregation that they need to stand up.  We have some at St Magnus the Martyr (the highest of the high), although they are more like a jangly set of little bells rather than a set of bigger ones.

DrL