1860s viewpoints

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at JC7xGmN8b7s45Koam8_wS1YaGui4Ei08Sp7VE1LredipCME6N_jeKC0tjWQSZpaAfNfjUPoSklf9N6kiJ7Agg8eTSbc4tiRJ.yahoo.invalid
Thu Aug 23 12:56:39 BST 2012

*Reasons for installing bells* (from a local newspaper editorial, 1863)

... because the bells will throw their pleasant sounds to a great
distance, charming the ear by their special melody with its
memory-bringing faculty, and leading up to profitable musing and
pleasant thoughts ... We are not campanologically scientific, and so
cannot enlarge on the glories of bell-ringing, but we are as pleased as
other men at the solemn harmonies which these great ministers of sound
awaken

*Reasons for installing a chiming apparatus* (from an advertisement, c.1866)

... Unmanageable ringers are got rid of.

Two rather interesting and contrasting Victorian viewpoints, of similar
date - the first bizarrely sentimentalist, the second delightfully blunt
and ruthless!

--
Chris Pickford
E-mail: c.j.pickford at RQe780zYKNTRPYfkWBLKMUTerHJzXqGhXFiAnwUfE68HuXzMZu-0VXcZyTIrZppTJJ2PARe01r4CJ_C7ag.yahoo.invalid or (interchangeably)