[Bell Historians] Staveley (was Moseley St Mary - Steel Bells)

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at e4g88dc2fPNFY2XyT_hjVvZraUy3-T6xUhFXeTIHX5U3x6J7Z4QMXFNIH68LiqeYNrbeEYi4YFEuNmjQo6Zdfw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 9 00:06:54 GMT 2012

From: fartwell2000
> There are also, of course, still several steel rings of three. We
> currently
> list six of these in Dove, including Staveley, Yorks where tonal analysis
> of
> the recordings cast doubt on whether we had correctly identified which
> bell
> was which.
>
> Tim

I'd wondered why the Treble was listed on Dove as having a small wheel (and
the Tenor), and the second as being normal.

I'd suggest the Treble has full circle fittings and the second and Tenor
have the small wheels, not as shown on Dove-others who have been there can
decide for themselves. Mr Aspland's excellent Ripon and Leeds site would
seem to concour with what my own impressions were on two visits I've made
there:

http://www.riponandleedsbells.org.uk/staveley.htm

I'm sure that Andrew has made a personal visit, so maybe he may give his
take on the situation.

Alan

This is a unique installation and having finally visited in June 2011, all
too briefly I hasten to add, I am none the wiser as to which bell is the
treble.

The nominals indicate the full circle bell is the 2nd, as per Dove, but the
hums (by which small steel bells should perhaps be pitched) indicate the
treble. The latter being so, the ropes would fall in anti-clockwise order
and the treble would be the heaviest bell. I would really like to ring there
one day.

Nick