[Bell Historians] Lichfield bells and Elias Ashmole

Jim jameshedgcock at NOrxIEEJ8csinA0hy0Sl4Bs4ef8Ve-k7ae8Ppu0hch4IEt5kLrqPSohIbEv3vhROQ8QfBxghyzAvImMFDOHCAQrwOg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 11 08:44:57 BST 2012

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "John H Allen" <john at ...> wrote:

> And the Freemasons paid for the new bells at Lichfield in 1947 and would
> have paid for a new frame too if the Dean and Chapter had not been badly
> advised by the then Cathedral Architect.

>   _____

I remember once being told that Lichfield Cathedral bells are heavy for their pitch because the 1947 restoration was envisaged as a ring of twelve, but the retention of the old frame prevented this. The implication being that the metal for the two trebles of the planned twelve was used in the casting of the ten.  I always viewed this with great suspicion because I don't think that the figures 'stack up' anyway. Any comments?
Anyone able to give us recent progress at Hanley since the tower has been restored?