[Bell Historians] Re: Whaley Bridge Community of the King of Love Whaley Hall Derbyshire

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at 8XRvC0cAOc8iJ1_6tVbpf_uFnMpl-K40kgIWO8hY1t8_Le6m7CZDcFRfdwO4VskoHESgILv508NZH3tN2qAs9oKAvGUTJt8.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jul 16 10:43:19 BST 2012

Ah, Michael Foulds has already obtained details of this bell. Here's the
relevant entry from our asbtract of the Gorbals Foundry records - with
additional notes in the right-hand column

1890

12

--

Wilson

35"

8-0-20

08-0-20

Dressed weight

HamiltonMemorial Church, Clydebank

Scotland

UGD 17/2/1; UGD 17/3/1

Mr. A reckoned it B flat correct; Entry in UGD 17/3/1 dated 29 December
1890, cast a 35" bell for Hamilton Memorial Free church, Clydebank.
Inscription "Erected at Christmas 1890. Rev. Buchanan Blake, B.D.
Minister". 8-0-20 in B flat; 1928 catalogue lists Clydebank Hamilton
Memorial; The bell that was supposed to have gone to Italy was the one
cast for Clydebank Hamilton Memorial Church in Dec. 1890, 35", 8-0-20.
It did not go to Italy. It has now turned up at Whaley Hall, Whaley
Bridge, Derbyshire, apparently, though I've not yet seen it. I've
confirmed this with church secretary of present Clydebank Church, and
inscription matches (Ex.inf.Michael Foulds -- message to John
Greenhough, Oct 2010); The fine gothic building of 1884 with its tall
spire still stands in Glasgow Road, Clydebank, but ecclesiastical use
ceased in the 1980s and the building has been vacant and deteriorating
ever since. The bell was sold to Fr. Jamie McLeod in 2007, and is now
hung for swing chiming at Whaley Hall, Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire. The
inscription is:- ERECTED AT CHRISTMAS 1890 REV: BUCHANAN BLAKE B.D.
MINISTER JOHN C. WILSON & Co., FOUNDERS, GLASGOW (Information, MF, Fr.
Jamie Macleod, Peter Hayward))

The other ten ???

--
Chris Pickford
E-mail: c.j.pickford at uQgfJZ0acTQK4ErP1_15RNqnZc0QDgO8NzeXX0XRze53NM-CV51_q47i7KrTegQwU9CErtzx9VWia1zz8RJXorE.yahoo.invalid or (interchangeably)