[Bell Historians] Complete Taylor Peals

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at 6z67QN1xRJz-tt_r1VzOYRDT0OmYQmNv7YCf7OpgClV_TXk5kxVizUgAYrRkUBykrf7mehWo-IC6Be8yfzIOG58Ougsh144K0A.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 4 12:19:43 GMT 2012

 From a very hasty check, Mirfield seems to have been the fourth
complete Taylor ten. The others were Newark (1842), Bradford (1846),
Dunham Massey (1854) - then Mirfield (1869). But the Grimthorpe twelve
at Worcester (1869) also needs to be considered in this chronology. The
next was Hampstead (1872), then Manchester Town Hall (1877) and
Edinburgh Cathedral (1879).

Generally, Taylors were casting some very interesting-sounding bells in
the 1840s, 50s and 60s - including marvels like Kingweston and the tenor
at Bridgwater - but were knocked off course (as some see it - with the
benefit of hindsight) by the influence of Lord G. I'd suggest that any
assessment of Mirfield needs to take account of the change brought about
in casting scale, thickness and tonal quality arising from Grimthorpe's
dogmas. I can't comment on Mirfield as I haven't heard them, but
date-wise they sit in a developmental period in the Taylor /oeuvre/.
Certainly Taylor bells of the 1870s have characteristics that are
markedly different from the work of up to, say, 1865.

A hasty and subjective commentary, I accept!

CJP