[Bell Historians] Adjustable louvers

Laura Dickerson lauradi at rcn.com
Tue Apr 1 15:43:16 BST 2014

Jim asked:
 >>What happens at St. Mary le Bow, St. Clement Danes and Trinity Church
Wall Street when the electricity button is pressed to operate the sound
control<<

    I don't know about electricity buttons, but the *original* sound
control plan at Trinity was that garage doors would go down inside the
louvers.  It's my impression that it was very expensive to get doors the
right size, and they had very little effect on the sound outside, to the
extent that after the inaugural ringing with the special band, the
neighbors were very upset and local ringing was postponed until
something else could be done about the decibel level.  Ringer Greg
Russell came up with an alternative plan that made the sound of the
bells very soft outside, but I don't remember how that was done.  Wood
was involved, though, not alterations on the metal doors.

Laura Dickerson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: