[Bell Historians] Tower Classification required

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Thu Apr 14 12:19:02 BST 2016

Maybe the answer is to distinguish between a) ownership and b) purpose / function. Perhaps the two can’t be combined in a single meaningful category list. In other words, we need two levels of classification rather than one.

This discussion is only confirming what has been clear from previous exchanges, i.e. that the categories we have been using just don’t fit quite a lot of cases.

And – as JEC, RAS and I have all said – there’s no point in classification without having a clear analytical purpose in mind. Why are you asking the question? What question do you want the analysis to answer?

Chris Pickford