[Bell Historians] Advice please

'Anne Willis' zen16073@zen.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Oct 8 22:26:43 BST 2016

There is an item in the Warminster Churchwardens’ accounts of 1629:

This year the cannings [canons] of the great bell broken by mischance was sold to John Lott for £35.13.4

   at 10d the pound with the proviso that when ever the parish had occasion to use so much mettell he should be redie to furnish them with as much and as good and at the same price

This is misquoted on p.227 of Walters Church Bells of Wiltshire the words ‘the cannings of’ being omitted.

Anne

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 08 October 2016 22:00
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Advice please

Corrosion of this type is due to electrolytic action where two dissimilar metals are in conttact with each other. The action occurs when the metals get wet a chemical reaction in sues when one of the two metals is eroded away. When this type of action happens a small potential difference is generated. I've seen much more dramatic examples when the bell is near the sea.

DG