[Bell Historians] Advice please

Ted Steele teds.bells@tesco.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Oct 9 12:06:31 BST 2016

On 08/10/2016 22:26, 'Anne Willis'  wrote:

> There is an item in the Warminster Churchwardens’ accounts of 1629:
>                                            *__*
> This year the cannings [canons] of the great bell broken by mischance
> was sold to John Lott for £35.13.4
>
>    at 10d the pound

> This is misquoted on p.227 of Walters /Church Bells of Wiltshire /the
> words ‘the cannings of’ being omitted.

> DG wrote ..Corrosion of this type is due to electrolytic action ...

Thanks for this Anne. For some reason the attached message from DG has
not reached my email client, although I can see it on the Yahoo group
page; thanks also DG. Concerning the canons, if my calculation is
correct that works out at canons weighing 7 2/3 cwt. Is that feasible?
What weight must the great bell have been?

I see the same quotation (without reference to canons), appears in the
on-line History of Warminster by John J Daniell, 1879. Might this be the
source used by Walters?

I remain keen to hear more on  the history of canon removal in general
if anyone can help; and of course the mystery object.

Ted

Posted by: Ted Steele <teds.bells at tesco.net>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional