[Bell Historians] The Botley Youths

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Nov 28 15:10:52 GMT 2017

David Willis dcwillispiano at yahoo.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

> Bellboard quickly flagged this up and to get it accepted I
> have said it's a lost ring whilst I ask questions.

I did wonder!

> There is a place in Hampshire called Botley Cross but it's not on Dove.

Is there?  I know of a place called Botley, on the River
Hamble a few miles east of Southampton, which I know
somewhat as I had family there.  But the church, which is in
the centre of the old village, is All Saints.  According to
Kelly's Directory, 1898, it had three bells.  They were
augmented to six in 2000.

The other nearby churches are St Peter, Curdridge; St
Barnabus, Curbridge; and St John, Hedge End.  Historically
they were in the parishes of Bishop's Waltham, Titchfield
and Botley, respectively, and I've never heard that any were
called Botley Cross in Victorian times.  None of these
churches had a ring of eight (or more) bells in 1876.

There's a Botley on the edge of Oxford.  Could it be that
place?

Richard

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: