[Bell Historians] Vandalls?

La Greenall laalaagrr@googlemail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Apr 9 20:41:00 BST 2019

It  may be significant that the word Vandal seems not to have been
widely known at that time, thus increasing the likelihood that only
students of history would have been familiar with it. Looking briefly at
the earliest dictionaries at www.archive.org, the word is not in /The
interpreter, or, Booke containing the signification of words/ (1607)
(https://archive.org/details/interpretero_cowe_1607_00/page/n530), or in
/A Dictionarie of the French and English Tongues/ (1632)
(https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_662_UDnHVvYC/page/n293). But when we
get to T/he new world of English words: or a general dictionary:
containing the interpretations of such hard words as are derived from
other languages ... together with all those terms that relate to the
arts and sciences/ ... (1663), we find the following entry:

/Vandelberia/, the ancient name of a place in /Cambridgeshire/, so
called, for that in times past, the /Vandalls /or /Danes/, there
encamped themselves with a Trench and Rampire; it is thought to have
been the same with that which is now called /Wandlesbury/.
(https://archive.org/details/b30329905/page/n344)

/Vandăli /then has an extensive entry in /A large dictionary. In three
parts... III. The proper names of persons, places, and other things
necessary to the understanding of historians and poets/ ... (1677) which
I will let you read for yourself
(https://archive.org/details/b30324476/page/n1367).

Wandlebury also came up in other googlings, for example:

"Gervase of Tibury reports in his /Otia Imperialia/ of about 1211: in
England, on the borders of the diocese of Ely, there is a town called
Cantabrica, just outside of which is a place known as Waldlebiria, from
the fact that the Wandeli [Vandals], when ravaging Britain and savagely
putting to death the Christians, placed their camp there."
(/A Literary History of Cambridge/, Graham Chainey, 1995, p.4-5).

What student encamped in Cambridge wouldn't like to be thought of as a
/Vandal/?!

Lawrence
Getting this email past my spellchecker was a right pain!