[Bell Historians] Rolls of Honour search

Hayden Charles hcharles@grandsire.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Aug 7 13:47:12 BST 2019

David Willis dcwillispiano at yahoo.com [bellhistorians] wrote on
07/08/2019 13:13:

> Can someone give me a hand please.
>
> I am on second time round looking at on line newspapers to find ringers
> who fell during the wars.  I would like to read the article that is
> suggested by FindMyPast but just cannot find it ..
>
> Local & District News
> Local & District News
>   the fighting forces. Pte. Leonard Percy Roper, has been reported
> missing at Singapore, but it is hoped that may be a prisoner of war.
> Pte. Roper 30 years of age. and is married. His father was killed in the
> last war.
> 24 April 1942 - Western Gazette - Yeovil, Somerset, England
>

> I know that this man died ..
>
> Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour
> First name(s)Leonard Percy
> Last nameRoper
> Birth year1912
> Age30
> Death year1942
> Death date14 Feb 1942
> Number6029000
> RankPrivate
> Unit4th Bn.
> RegimentSuffolk Regiment
> Grave reference11. D. 8.
> Cemetery or MemorialKranji War Cemetery
> Burial countrySingapore
>
> The article may tell me if he was a ringer.
>

> Thank you,
>
> David

I did find it, your extract has most of it, no mention of ringing.
Western Gazette - Friday 24 April 1942, page 3 in the 6th column under
'Weymouth'.

Just a paragraph:

  May Be a War Prisoner. —One of the four sons of Mrs. W. H. Roper, of
18. Perth-street, who are in the fighting forces. Pte. Leonard Percy
Roper, has been reported missing at Singapore, but it is hoped that he
may be a prisoner of war. Pte. Roper is 30 years of age and is married.
His father was killed in the last war.

Hayden Charles

Posted by: Hayden Charles <hcharles at grandsire.co.uk>

<*> Your email settings: