[Bell Historians] People's perception of pitches in bell sounds

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 1 13:12:56 BST 2020

I hope that Scott will be able to access the constructive criticisms posted
so far - especially if (as I sense) some people may have embarked on a
response without completing it (so the attempt - and any comments - will go
unseen).

Having been responsible for a national user survey for some years, I'd
comment that - since nobody undertaking a survey wants to gather dud
information - that most questions in a survey like this ought to have a box
"I am unable to offer a meaningful response to this question" - perhaps even
with supplementaries a) "because I don't understand" and b) "because what I
want to say doesn't fit the available response options"

It won't generally happen (for a host of reasons) - and not just with this
particular survey - but something along these lines would help to avoid an
awful lot of misleading responses being collected and analysed.

Of course, the worst surveys in this respect are those that won't allow you
to skip a question - so you tick anything just to move on. That can't result
in good data being collected!

Chris Pickford

E-mail pickford5040 at gmail.com