[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 7 12:53:58 BST 2020

Just to reply to Ken on the clocks side:

First, nothing has been discussed or agreed – indeed, until now, I doubt either “side” was aware of the existence of the other

The sort of linkage Ken suggests would certainly be possible – but that’s a policy and practical decision for the developers and controllers of the two sites down the line

Yes, carillon machines / drum chimes ARE included in the AHS database

The AHS database does have facilities for indicating clock hammers, I think (I haven’t checked – but the field structure is pretty comprehensive).

I’d observe that clock people seem to be as reluctant to collect details about bells as bell people are to record information on clocks. I think people with these separate interests tend to feel out of their comfort zones (or just overburdened). Not long ago I asked a couple of “clockies” (as they call themselves) if they could take some basic details of bells when visiting off-radar clocks, e.g. in public buildings, country house stable clocks etc. They had been doing a lot of exploring in such places. I was only suggesting some very basic details – but they really didn’t want to do it. Knowing nothing about bells was clearly one reason – but I think that just having too many other things they were recording was a big factor too.

Chris Pickford

E-mail pickford5040 at gmail.com