[Bell Historians] Ancient bell at Lerwick

c.j.pickford at talk21.com c.j.pickford at talk21.com
Tue Dec 7 08:57:16 GMT 2021

The Lerwick bell is said to be in the "National Museum of Antiquities" in
Edinburgh when Ranald Clouston saw it in 1975. I suspected an obsolete name,
and Google says that since 1985 this has been part of the National Museum of
Scotland

When the Auckland Castle bell came to light a couple of years ago, George
Dawson and I did quite a bit of desk work regarding ancient bells and built
a listing of all known examples. We also assembled a photo gallery of
available pictures of as many of these bells as we could muster. I attach
the list in case it is of use and interest - explanations available if
required!

Chris Pickford
Kinver (UK)
Tel: 07811-453525