[Bell Historians] Preshute - all bells added to NBR as 'On Pres List' between 2009 & 2015 (same for Westbury)

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 15:58:46 GMT 2021

MRTH -  I remember their attitude towards the bells at Catworth,
Cambridgeshire, they said that a peal of bells which contained two bells of
the same note would make a "characterful ring" - this resulted in a fine
sounding medieval bell being removed from the peal and hung dead along side.
They have recently written to the parish of South Wraxall, in Wiltshire,
stating that they not support some minimal tuning of the 3 of the 6 bells,
to bring them into a true musical scale. Hopefully the chancellor has seen
sense on this one...

I despair when it comes to the attitude of some of these bodies regarding
retuning of old bells. They do not seem to understand that there are "good"
old bells which are good enough to leave untuned, "decent" old bells which
can be improved by minimal retuning whilst retaining their character, and
"bad" old bells which need retuning. There was an extraordinary episode in
South Wales concerning Michaelston-y-Fedw, but discussion of that here would
be getting off-topic. Suffice it to say that most of these so-called
"conservationists" are not competent to adjudicate on such a complex subject
as bell-tuning. I'll bet that congregations are not subjected to out-of-tune
or badly-toned organs.

Andrew Bull

  _____