[Bell Historians] Preshute - all bells added to NBR as 'On Pres List' between 2009 & 2015 (same for Westbury)

David Godwin dwhgodwin at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 17:42:52 GMT 2021

Ok, so I can see there would be the potential for conflicts of interest there. BUT why then is this perceived as a problem with the bells committee and not the organ committee where we see five of the eight members are organ builders? Surely it is important to have the view of the professional represented maybe to help with some of the more technical aspects of the subject? There should of course be safe guards and declarations of interest in place as with anything like this. Maybe former or retired people from the industry could be given a seat on the committee as they would have specific knowledge and skills but are no longer in payed employment by players in the bell hanging / founding industry?
At DAC level I can see that potentially there are issues. I worked for a bell hanger for almost 14 years before a career change. It was then another five years before I offered my skills and expertise to the guild of ringers where I live to carry out belfry inspections etc. From a personal point of view I though this was a respectable length of time and the responsible thing to do as did they.

DG