[Bell Historians] Ringing bells backwards as a signal

Gareth Davies charollais at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 10:10:12 BST 2021

Matthew Robinson was a student at St John’s College, Cambridge in 1645. In his ‘Life’ (reputedly an autobiography), it is claimed that ‘...he had not settled himself many nights in quiet, till the king's army broke into the associated counties, took Huntingdon and in parties came near to Cambridge, on which alarum the bells rung backwards and the beacons were fired as if Hannibal had been at the gates: all the Cantabrigian students in four hours’ time were all fled,two and three on an horse and the rest footed it to friends in safer places.’

Very similar to the earlier Wigan example, though if I understand it correctly, Wigan was a royalist town unlike Cambridge.

Gareth