[Bell Historians] Cowper Congregational Chapel in Dereham

wayne francis awf24k at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 18:27:40 BST 2021

Hi Chris

Yes, sure you can use that photo.

Wayne
________________________________
From: c.j.pickford at talk21.com <c.j.pickford at talk21.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 4:49:55 PM
To: 'wayne francis' <awf24k at hotmail.com>; 'Mike Chester' <mikechester at hotmail.com>; bell-historians at lists.ringingworld.co.uk <bell-historians at lists.ringingworld.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Cowper Congregational Chapel in Dereham

Agree with Wayne re the clock. Most Paine clocks are cast iron four-posters, but the full frame isn’t shown in Paul’s photo. There are similarities with other Paine clocks (I checked photos of three others), but differences too

The Bedford chiming machine (my home tower for 20 years) is a Gillett machine of the Imhof type, with (as Wayne says) slender pins – because they only needed to release the hammer (and not lift it). I really needed a photo for a talk next month (okay to use it, Wayne?) so thanks for uploading the picture. But the pins are quite different from those on the Dereham barrel, surely.

Agree that the linkages in Mike’s latest photo do look as they are for a chime of some sort – and the arrangement (seven in a row?) suggests a set hung close together in a line. That would most likely mean hemispherical bells or tubes. Nothing for Dereham in the lists of hemispherical installations in the Mears or Warner catalogues I’ve checked – but that doesn’t mean that one of those firms didn’t supply something as the lists aren’t complete

Chris Pickford

Kinver (UK)