[Bell Historians] St Mary the Virgin, Parham, Suffolk

c.j.pickford at talk21.com c.j.pickford at talk21.com
Sat Jan 15 10:23:01 GMT 2022

Have unearthed a couple of photos from my visit in 2001 - one of the treble
and the other of George Pipe looking at the frame.

I notice that the bell has square-section or flat mouldings (those at the
soundbow especially clear in this photo). Ranald noted these, although it's
interesting that - despite such mouldings being thought of as indicative of
earlier dates - he still dated the bells as c.1350. He does  not suggest the
name of a founder.

The attribution to "John de Lynn" on Dove probably came from Paul Cattermole
(and after 2001). What Paul says about John de Lynn (mentioned in a document
of 1299) and Thomas de Lynn (mentioned 1322 and 1344) is in his "Church
Bells and Bell-Ringing: A Norfolk Profile" (1990 but since reissued) p.200.
Of course, he may have discovered more about the early Lynn founders
subsequently - and must have had reasons for linking the Parham bells with
the others associated with John de Lynn (including one bearing the founder's
name)

Having reviewed all this, I'm inclined to accept the attribution to John de
Lynn as entirely plausible - and to put the bells not too far either side of
1300, say 1290-1310.

Chris Pickford
Kinver (UK)
Tel: 07811-453525