[r-t] Cambridge S Minor

Glenn Taylor gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 21:17:15 UTC 2005

> Tony Cox, ages ago, came up with a very elegant peal using '34' singles
and '14' bobs.
> Must be possible to turn that into an extent somehow... mustn't it...?
>
> Oh dear! Further inspection reveals that the 2 leads separated by a '34'
> single are false against one another so a 720 on this plan is clearly
> impossible.

Tony's 5040 consists of a 720 with each of the six bells in the hunt plus an
additional 720 which, if I remember correctly (as it's nearly 30 years since
I called it), has the tenor in the hunt for a second 720. Each of the
constituent 720s is chopped up into its six courses and the whole lot
arranged into a regular 3 part calling (I think) by introducing each of
these courses between a suitably placed pair of 3-4 singles.

This "trick" is clearly general rather than being restricted to Cambridge
and I have a recollection that Andrew Tyler put together a similar
arrangement for London.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but why can't you do something
similar by taking a 720 with (say) the 2nd in the hunt, chopping it into its
six courses and then introducing those six courses into a standard 720 with
the treble in the hunt? Obviously only the treble and 2nd get a "go" in the
hunt but you have achieved a variable hunt 1440 with every row twice.

Glenn Taylor
Bristol