[r-t] RE: Method Review

Richard Grimmett richard at grimmett.org
Thu Feb 17 22:50:11 UTC 2005

I reckon you are missing the point of music.  Music flows, and so do
changes.  Grandsire Triples flows, all who can actually hear ringing
surely must agree with this?  Stedman Triples flows.  Cambridge major
flows (I know this is contentious).  Scientific triples doesn't.

So what is 'flow'?  It’s the succession of changes.  Don't think of one
change in its own right - its how it  comes up that’s important too.  I
have never seriously tried to define what I mean by flow in this
context, but I am very seriously convinced that it is a crucial
ingredient to a method.

After a peal of Scientific a few years ago I mentioned in the pub that I
didn't like the music of the method.  Some bright spark told me that it
had all the usual 5040 changes in it!  I pointed out that it’s the order
that counts.

Clarrie

Sam: