[r-t] Bastow / Cloister

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 16:53:06 UTC 2006

I think if you were starting from scratch and Grandsire didn't exist you wouldn't invent Grandsire as an extension of Plain Bob, (or indeed any of the other odd from even bell extensions). Why add a hunt bell? The conventional PB triples etc seems just as logical, indeed, as Hayden says, it has the same feel. Even the calls are the same. If Grandsire were a "logical" extension then why don't you make 5ths at a bob instead of 3rds, that would be the extension of the plain bob bob (look at the contortions that people use for DNCB caters bobs).

Clearly it is possible to extend by adding an extra hunt bell, but it isn't the only route and I don't really see why it should be the most natural. Obviously there is alot of history behind this and these methods were developed before these rules were made. Also I suspect it is really a bit of a side issue these days as you can't do this with treble dodging methods and plain methods and odd bell methods (other than stedman or grandsire) are not routinely rung these days.

Peter