[r-t] FW: Spliced Surprise Major problem

John Goldthorpe johng at omnieng.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 12:45:47 UTC 2007

Don Morrison wrote:
> On 1/9/07, John Goldthorpe <johng at omnieng.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes.  Of course, it is possible to join any methods that don't start
>> with X with an X call.  I did wonder about this yesterday as most of the
>> Chandler methods don't start with X.  I'm giving it a try at the moment
>> using X singles only and no bobs.  The results so far show that there
>> are definitely less possibilities than with the 3456 single only.
>>

> And, of course, such a composition will also have to have an even
> number of changes of hunt bell (and thus more than one) in each part
> (if it's major, with an even number of parts, etc).

Perhaps I am missing your point Don, but I don't see why there has to be
an even number of changes of hunt bell in each part.  In fact, if no
other types of single are being used, then an 8 part composition must
have an odd number of singles in each part to ensure that one of the
out-of-course part ends is produced at the end of the first part.  ie
23456781, 45678123, 67812345 or 81234567 for a cyclic 8 part.

John