[r-t] Cover bells

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 5 12:44:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> I have deliberately included a constraint here i.e. one cover or lead bell.

I think this is unfortunate. Quarter peal ringers really do ring things
with multiple covers today, and it seems a shame to make peal ringers
second class citizens in this regard. And there has been at least one
peal rung, in 1987, that included both a cover and a leading bell.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Matthew Frye <matthew__100 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I would not object ringing with several cover bells (though I
> haven't yet), but i (personally) would object to a peal of minimus
> with 12 covers, so the question is where to draw the line? If you
> follow the spirit of the (proposed) decisions then there can only be
> 1 answer: you don't limit it and let people ring it if they really
> want to.

Exactly. I would not choose to ring minimus with 12 covers, but if
there are sixteen folks out there that do want to, I have no business
telling them they may not.

"I don't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm
frightened of the old ones."                -- John Cage, _Silence_