[r-t] Proposed definition of a peal

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Aug 7 01:50:25 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:

> Far too wordy Don! We'll end up with something ten times longer than we have
> now, which is bad.

Why is it?  The problems with the current decisions are that
they are overly restrictive, overly complex in places, and
that they contain ambiguities.  I don't see that their
length is a problem.

If we produced a set of decisions that were ten times as
long as the existing ones, providing they were clearly
written and end easy to follow, I would consider that a
success.

> Why don't we ignore peals for a bit and go back to methods. Once we have our
> ideas clear about methods then the whole peals thing would probably be a bit
> easier.

No!  I agree with Don here.  I absolutely think we want to
flesh out what we mean by 'truth' (in particular) before we
get bogged down with methods.  And I firmly applaud the
effort to define this without reference to methods, leads or
calls.

At the end of the day, people don't ring methods.  What they
ring are pieces of change ringing.  Exactly how these are
described in terms of methods is a subtle question,
especially when it comes to spliced.  (I don't, for example,
really believe that anyone has rung a peal containing more
than 100 methods: I think that morally the most methods in a
peal is 100 in the 22,400 Spliced Surprise Royal rung at the
foundry in 2005.)

RAS