[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Tue Aug 12 15:37:04 UTC 2008

I like it Don. At a quick read, it is very nice indeed.  Ian's first two
proposals look OK.

However, when Ian says,

"I disagree. They are better added as explicit special cases _inside_
the definitions. I would expand paragraph 4 to say that where a peal is
rung on stage S < 8, it must contain at least 5040 rows"

I absolutely, fundamentally disagree with Ian here (and hence agree with
Don). We need to take the Richard Smith approach of defining what we
mean as elegantly as possible and in a way that covers everything.  If
there are any "special cases", these should be listed separately (and
explicitly).

I also strongly feel that 5000+ for any stage is sensible.  It's hard to
work out why MBD and Ian get so worked up about this.  There are even
good historical precedents, as RAS mentioned.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.