[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 12 17:52:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> I think I preferred the term neologism 'stage fragment' rather than
> giving a new meaning to the term 'block'.

Do you think "stage fragment" could just be dropped in here in place
of "block"? My original mental model was that a stage fragment was of
a particular stage kind of "for real" while a block is potentially a
combination of things at different stages, just all extended to the
maximum stage for purposes of truth and completeness. But since we're
making up the word "stage fragment" there's no reason we can't define
it to be whatever we like.

> The other neologism 'non-changing bell', I like
> rather less.

My own feelings about it parallel Mark's about something else, exactly
what I don't now recall. I do not do not do not like "non-changing
bell", either.

The obvious alternative is "fixed bell" which is what my brain says
every time my fingers type "non-changing bell". But "fixed bell" is
already such a loaded term I fear co-opting it here.

Does anyone have some other suggestions for a bell that never moves,
but is not necessarily in last place?

> I'd also wonder if the definitions might be more acceptible to the
> wider community if we kept the letters and numbers to a minimum and
> replaced them with English phrases.

You should have seen my first draft, the one never released into the
wild. It was much worse in that regard. It even had the moral
equivalent of subscripts.

We'll have to think about how best to scrub it of some more of them. I
agree that sticking variables into things is a large part of what
makes such prose seem intimidating to some readers. It's probably an
abstraction mechanism that, while second nature to some, requires
practice and habituation to achieve comfort with for others.

"I am always struck by the model and standard of the neighborhood piano
teacher. Their devotion, curiosity, and loyalty to both child and cause
inspire us far more than the examples of our presidents, CEO's, and other
pros. One is grateful for the indomitable spirit in the face of merci-
less odds."                             -- Russell Sherman, _Piano Pieces_