[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jul 18 12:58:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Simon Humphrey <sh at keystrata.co.uk> wrote:
> But where do you draw the line with introducing additional types of call?
> Nowadays having 3 types in a peal of Maximus is commonplace, but what about
> 4, or 5, or 20?

That, I think, comes right to the crux of this recurring discussion.

- There are those that want someone to draw such a line that
  others are expected not to cross.

- And there are those that feel you need no line: if ringers choose to
  ring peals with 20 different kinds of call, let them; if someone doesn't
  want to, he or she simply declines to ring in such peals.

I am, as must be obvious, in the latter camp.

While I never have had the opportunity, probably because you need a
whole band to ring and most folks feel otherwise, I think it would be
fun to ring in a peal with a great multiplicity of different kinds of
call. In much the same way that ringing spliced is good fun.

"Ignorance is the first penalty of pride."
      -- H G Wells, _The Outline of History_