[r-t] Doubles variation

Will Bosworth bosworth.will at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 15:46:01 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Sorry to take the discussion away from the lofty hieghts of Surprise Major,
but I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've been asked to call a quarter of 'Watson Doubles' as a wedding
compliment to some non-ringers. The variation has already been named -
according to Melvyn Hiller's list at
http://www.cambridgeringing.info/Methods/Doubles/METHVAR.htm . But I haven't
the foggiest how to decode 1x/c/f/g/h/p/q/k into a blue line - can someone
explain please? I can't find it anywhere on the (otherwise excellent)
Cambridge ringing tables either, which seem to explain how several hundred
variations work. Does it really mean Plain Bob with 8 different calls?

Thanks in advance,

Will