[r-t] Viking D Royal [was Exhausted search spaces]

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Feb 7 20:41:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> Interested by your insistence on starting with the plain course.

Mostly just because some bands find that a comfort when ringing an
unfamiliar method. Helps things settle down a bit, and demonstrates
everyone's learned the same method right at the start :-) From a music
and entertainment perspective, I find ending with as much of the plain
course as possible is actually preferable, though perhaps less so for
Viking than some other methods that have lots of particularly good
stuff packed into the plain course.

Its obviously pretty subjective which version you prefer. Yours does
add nine extra runs, and eliminates a little chaff. On the other hand,
besides the slightly less gentle start, it shifts some of the runs
from 3456s/6543s to 2345s/5432s (and loses the pair of 1234s), and
some folks prefer the former to the latter in royal.

"We all have flaws," [the duke] said, "and mine is being
wicked."           -- James Thurber, _The Thirteen Clocks_